Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Being Sick in College (and how to make it less miserable)


Unfortunately, I had to deal with a lot of fomo during my first semester in college...because I got really, really sick. 

I had been going to student health at least once a week since the end of October (which is notorious for being unsuccessful in treating patients) because of some stomach issues. But a month later, I thought my allergies caused me to have a sinus infection, so I made another trip to student health to get some antibiotics so I could be better in two days.

I was pretty convinced it was an allergy related thing. I have bad sinuses to begin with and combined with a mold allergy, I usually get a sinus infection in the fall while the leaves decay. Plus, I was taking my vitamins, washing my hands, and doing everything I could to keep myself from getting sick. 

So imagine my surprise when the doctor told me I had mono. 
And then when she told me I could expect to be sick for the next 6 to 8 weeks. 

I called my mom (while I was crying too, because you know, multitasking) as soon as I left. 
I was scared, upset, and insanely stressed. How could I miss class? Finals were soon, how could I possibly do well? How was I going to get better if the only treatment was rest and ibuprofen? 

Luckily for me, this wasn't the first time someone had been sick at UVA (which is actually unlucky for the first guy to get sick...yikes). My deans were so understanding and they worked with me to figure out how to finish the semester. I was able to work with them and my professors so that I would be fine. 

After I figured out how to deal with school, I went home for two weeks. I literally just slept, watched Grey's Anatomy (because I wished Meredith Grey was my doctor), and read lecture slides. 

Several doctors appointments and a trip to the emergency room later, I went back to school. At first, I struggled to understand what was going on in lecture. One of my professors was using an extended metaphor that wasn't in the slides. Another was focused on things that weren't in the syllabus. 
I was so stressed (which weakened my immune system so yay)

But then I went to my professors. I explained the situation and they were all so accomodating. They put my health above their classes, which I wasn't used to at all. Every single one of them cared about me and wanted me to recover. 

And with a little hard work and determination, I did so much better in my classes than I had anticipated.
(mono was basically a 7 week hangover so here's a cute pic of me trying not to puke after a football game)

So here's my advice to anyone who might ever be sick in college

  1. Email or call your dean as soon as you can. They know how to deal with issues like this way better than you do. Even if it's not serious enough for them to take action, it helps to know you have a resource on campus. 
  2. Email your professors. They can get notes from one of your peers or offer insight about the slides you could only get from attending lecture.
  3. Email your TAs if you have them. They control your grade and it's important they know what's up. 
  4. Don't go to lecture if you don't feel up to it. You won't be able to focus, you won't get anything from it, and you'll be exhausted from walking across campus. 
  5. Sleep as much as you can, take whatever medication you can, and relax.
  6. Check in with your friends if you get a chance. You'll rarely see them and you'll feel lonely. Text your group chat and just ask how everyone's day was. They'll respond and you'll be able to talk to them. Trust me, this helps keep you sane when you're confined to a tiny little dorm room.
  7. Call your mom. She's worried sick (pun intended) about you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Say it now!